Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Roundabout with Roundabout

[1/12] Dear Susan and Michael,

I became a Roundabout subscriber the year it produced 1776, one of my all-time favorite shows, and have never been sorry I did. I have several other theatre subscriptions (as well as opera and Philharmonic series), see as many other shows on Broadway, off and off-off Broadway (as far off as the Flea) as I can afford - and don't regard my taste as especially "middling." But I am still learning. And the Roundabout is part of my theatre education.

One of the pleasures of my subscription has been the Roundabout's Pels Theatre productions over the years. Those plays are almost always new, carefully produced and performed and worth seeing. Have I loved every one? No. Am I glad I saw them? You bet. One learns to listen to each playwright for what he or she is saying, even if one may not like the play much. Next, I'll be seeing Speech and Debate in the new black box theatre below the present Pels Theatre. Looking forward to that.

My principal regret is that Assassins didn't have a longer run. It was brilliant.

And I have welcomed the chance to see classics, some that I'd never seen and some that it is a pleasure to revisit. The quality of the casts has usually been superior. Perhaps one of the reasons why so many extraordinary actors come to Roundabout productions is that they can commit for their limited runs. Seeing the Redgrave sisters together was worth that year's subscription. Furthermore, Susan, I got some good laughs at Old Acquaintance, light fare though it was.

Some comments on your interview of Todd Haims on January 12, 2008:

1) The Roundabout was established to present classics - look at its name!

2) It's OK even for a "nonprofit" to have successful productions. How inane to think otherwise.

3) Haimes used your "attack" opening and Michael's snarky questioning effectively as a kickoff to describe the range of Roundabout theatrical and educational activities, I thought.

4) Why do you tend to fawn over Brits and attack Americans? I've always wondered ...
But I'll continue to watch your show. It's usually interesting.

Sincerely,
Sarah S.

---------------------------------------
[1/12] Susan Haskins responds:

Thank you for writing.

I though Todd was very articulate and dealt with our criticism beautifully. I only pride us for having edited the show to make that abundantly clear.

Do I - Susan - fawn over Brits v Americans? I try not to (despite that inherent disposition in almost anyone of my generation). Actually, I just saw The 39 Steps tonight. I liked it very very much, but at the same time I found myself regretting that many idigenous NYC companies, probably doing equally innovative work, can't get as easily "discovered' here sometimes, as those from London.

Thanks so much for watching our program and taking the time to write.
All the best,
Susan Haskins

PS. As for Old Aquaintance, I suppose it had humorous moments. It just struck me as such a waste of money on a second-rate, pedestrian exercise in playwriting. I thought van Druten had really "phoned" that one in, way back when.

-------------------------
1/13 Sarah S. replies

Dear Ms. Haskins:

Yes, the program was well edited well to make Todd Haimes' responses the focus. I just felt that some of Michael's questions were unnecessary put-downs. (But that's often true - I do shout at him fairly often because he interrupts speakers in the middle of thoughts.)

And no, Susan, you don't fawn over Brits! Sorry for the lack of clarity. In fact, your questions tend to bring out the most in guests that we non-theatre-insiders are interested to hear. And thank you for that.

Your point about the Roundabout's importing two British shows this season is well taken. It surprised me, too, because that has not been the custom. The London production of [Sunday in the Park with George] did get great reviews from friends who saw it there and, I suppose, if Steve Sondheim wanted it done at the Roundabout, that was the deciding vote. They do well by his shows - and where else would we have seen Pacific Overtures reprised?

I just like seeing Margaret Colin onstage - that's probably why I enjoyed Old Acquaintance. It wasn't a great play, I agree.

Keep up the good work. Your show is set for automatic series recording and "keep" - I always look forward to seeing it.

Thanks,
Sarah S.

No comments: