Thursday, April 03, 2008

Mad as a Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

I am writing to express my outrage at what I heard Elizabeth Ashley say on your show concerning how she prepared to play Maggie the Cat in Cat On a Hot Tin Roof. She explained that she starved three cats for two weeks to observe their behavior.

At first I thought she was kidding, but apparently not. The two moderators of the show thought this was funny. I was appalled. Need I even explain why? What other living, sentient beings would Ms. Ashley condone torturing to prepare for a role--children, old people?

No one could possibly sanction animal cruelty for art's sake, be it film, painting, or acting. As a singer and some time actor myself, I believe her comments are insulting to the traditions of the theater.

Even more upsetting than Ms Ashley's stupid and heartless behavior is the apparent acquiescence of the hosts of your show. I urge you to somehow address this huge mistake. I leave it up to you to figure out how.

- Burton A. Borovetz

No comments: